BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 60

11/11

After a sleepless night, it was time to get started on our first day as soldiers. The first order of the day was a ceremony with the other companies in our battalion. It was a really cool experience. We were addressed by the battalion commander, CSM, and the brigade commander. At the end of the ceremony, we were instructed to put on our berets. Our berets signify that we are officially soldiers. The most significant part of this whole thing was that we became soldiers on Veterans Day, a day to honor those that had served before us. This made a special day in our lives even more special.

We were also rewarded with a special breakfast. The main course was steak and eggs, but the DFAC still had all the usual choices too. This wasn't what made this breakfast different though. We were allowed to eat as much as we wanted, take as much time as we wanted, and talk to each other while we ate. I must have been starved from the march because I ate almost double what I normally would. It felt strange not to be rushed while I ate too, although I caught myself eating fast out of habit.

We finally got a chance to get some rest after breakfast. We were allowed to sleep until lunch. The rest of the day was spent cleaning our weapon and gear. We will be turning everything back in over the next few days.

I've also got a side story to tell you about that I left out of my Vic Forge post. On Tuesday morning, day 2 of Vic Forge, our PG was fired. Guess who was rehired, me of course. So I was back in the saddle just in time to finish out BCT. My 2nd term as PG was short lived. I was relived from my position this morning. Don't worry, I wasn't fired this time. I was promoted to Student First Sergeant. This means I'm now over both platoons in my company and the PG's report to me.

0 comments: