BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 8, 2010

BCT Day 21

These post are from letters that Jason has mailed to me. Sometimes his writing is hard for me to read so bare with me if some of the terms aren't right. I hope that you enjoy as much as I do.

BCT Day 21
Oct. 3,2010

This Sunday has really been a day off. The only thing worth writing about is the fact that we finally got a phone call. It was only 10 minutes, but it was great. It'd been almost 3 weeks since I last talked to Em. It was amazing to hear her voice, Izzy told me "hey" too. Surprisingly I managed to fight back the tears. Not everyone did though. Some people we're crying like babies. I'm not putting them down though. It can be emotional to finally get to talk to your family. One guy from 2nd Platoon even found out he was going to be a dad. How's that for an exciting 10 minute call?
Since I have some space to fill today, I'm going to cover one of if not the most important topics at BCT-FOOD or Chow as we call it. For the most part the food in DFAC is just cafeteria food. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Breakfast is easily the best meal of the day. Here's a typical breakfast for me.- scrambles eggs, bacon, hash browns, french toast (or waffles), cereal, and fruit. I usually get Cocoa Crispies or Fruit Loops for my cereal. That's about as close as I get to "junk" food.
Lunch and dinner are usually smaller meals for me. We get a choice of entrees- typically a couple different meats, maybe a pasta, and grilled cheese, bread, sides(rice and veggies) There's also a salad bar too. I fined my self eating baked fish or chicken normally. I try to mix up my sides some. If you know me then you know that I am a very pick eater. However, I've branched out a little and tried a few new things. Nothing special, mostly just peas and beans.I always finish my meal off with dessert, fruit or yogurt.
Most of the food is pretty healthy. Sundays they usually serve less healthy food though. Today for example, the lunch choices were hamburgers, hot dog's (w/ or w/o chili), corn dogs, or pizza. We were even able to get a cookie today. I know to most of you that's not a big deal but when you haven't seen a cookie in nearly a month you better believe I ate a cookie. I would have ate a whole plate full of them if I could.
The weirdest thing concerning food to me is that I haven't had cravings for civilian food like Mexican or McDonald's. Others talk about wanting stuff like that all the time, but I haven't really had cravings. I guess it's like the TV thing I talked about previously. I've just gotten to the point that I'm used to being here. Still though, the first place I'm going when I get home is San Marcos(the BEST Mexican joint in my town).

0 comments: